Sunday 26 January 2014

Ladies and gentlemen, can I have your attention please?

I've had my carelessness highlighted this week. My online carelessness lead to a situation that should never have happened. If you don't use an email address, profile etc. then shut it down. Don't leave it out there waiting to be misused. I didn't believe it when I first heard what had happened but then I saw it and was more or less in tears for the whole night. This was completely preventable but because I was careless it happened.

A: I've got a date. Ben. Divorcee. Very good looking. Nice arse. Which is a first for me.
B: Never had a nice one?
A: No, and I know that because I've seen them on the telly. You? Had one?
B: There was one woman, Janine. And I don't know if it was nice, but it was... huge. There was this tremendous sense of value.


Does anyone get that reference? It is of course from the irreplaceable Dylan Moran in Black Books. I've been rewatching it as I watched it at a rather fast pace the first time around and don't think I fully appreciated everything in it! It may also be that the laid backed ambience of the whole thing makes oh so relaxed that I lose consciousness. Or maybe it's because I watch it just before I go to bed.


So the job search is on! And I'm quite surprised at the number of vacancies knocking around! Admittedly there are quite a few that require specific experience but it all looks promising. Leads me to the whole IMF forecast that my old man mentioned to me. I am terrible at keeping abreast of current events, hehe breast! But the dadmeister will drop little bits of info to try and lure out my mind from it's long slumber. The favourable forecast for the UK has managed it.

I steer clear, mostly, because it's all smoke and mirrors. As no one is in power long enough or is willing to be drastic enough, real change does not occur. And the economy has become so unwieldy that despite the claims that this was intentional, I remain dubious.



Boil that down and it comes out something along the lines of a business wants to extract maximum value for minimal expenditure. If you can get 10 units of work from an employee and 10 units is all you need to satisfy all your customers then why would you hire another employee? Demand dictates hiring and firing. I think this is economics, I am ever so tempted to crack out an old textbook!

But this is the internet so here's a handy link that goes over demand rather well! This is by no means an attempt to educate anyone about anything. I'll cease this line of thought soon as it borders too close to being grown up. One last thing are we all savvy with the idea of a self fulfilling prophecy? A massive confidence trick...crafty!

Moving onto some good luck I've had. Comes in the form of some success on the job hunting front. I haven't successfully snagged a job yet. But I have made it past two of three hurdles. Initial application and telephone interview. I was expecting fall at both but I'm still on track but I'm keeping my attitude of no expectation up. It'll be good practice for getting back into the swing of things. Or I'll end up with a job at a top company doing something that'll be rather interesting! Win, win, win, win win! Too much win?

And my physio appointment rolled around again. I've been having a little grief with this back of mine. Pain higher up and general jolts coming in at inopportune moments. Turns out I haven't been bending enough! I thought this whole time that I was supposed to keep the ruddy thing bolt upright. I have had a glass of wine at this point so the time may change. Don't think I've ever done any of this whilst under the influence. I feel rather sleepy...

It has however made the words flow out and I'm currently typing with my eyes closed! Did you know I can type around 40 words per minute with my left hand alone? With the addition of righty the rate shoots up to 60 words per minute. Yep old righty doesn't really carry his weight when it comes to typing. I also used to brush my teeth with my left hand...I'm right handed.

Mmm not a fan of boasting but I've written that bit now so I'm gonna leave it there as a bleak reminder of how I get when I've had a bit. I've also discovered something that enrages me no end! It is stories written around youtube videos. The video tells enough of the story to be shared on social media by itself. But riding on the coat tails of the vid is some bs story! I think my rage comes from all the crap that loads up around the video on those pages. RAGE!

On second thought I don't really mind it that much. If you're inspired buy something it makes sense to include that in some way. Clickbait...maybe. I do love to argue with myself. I suppose it's better to be in uncomfortable confusion than in the comfort of wrong conclusion. Doubt...


Has anyone else noticed this awesomeness? In the bad old days you'd have many tabs open and without warning one of them will start making noises. You'd have to flick through them frantically trying locate the source of the unholy jibber jabber. Google have been listening and in 2014 have addressed this issue of enormous importance. What a difference a little speaker symbol makes!!!

Merlin
Yep I spotted one of these dudes in the garden. I'm pretty sure it was one of these fellas, amateur ornithologist I ain't. Grab your binoculars come follow me. Nope no one? Just me then :-D Merlin was tearing into a pigeon of some description. I'd spotted him a few months ago, chilling in one of our massive trees. Naturally I just have to take a pic so I rush downstairs camera in hand to lean out of a window. My fumbling with the latch on the window causes Merlin to fly away with his kill clutched close in his talons.



If that vid has worked you should have been able to see some sparrows having a whale of a time. The big black bird is a blackbird. They nest somewhere in our garden and we see their progeny larking about. Before we identified them as immature blackbirds my brother and I dubbed them weird birds. As they act ever so peculiar. They are bouncy, fly and perch on odd things and are generally behave in a manner that can only be described as queer. Now that we know they are new to the world it's obvious that they are like toddlers/small children. Strange but a joy to behold, for a while...until they start to cry at least. I never know what to do with a crying baby so I just gingerly hand it back to the parents.

Books! I've begun to finish those books that left hanging. Pigeonwings, The Goal, The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil, The Memory Palace and Cold Reading! But I have started reading Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah and V for Vendetta :-D FYI the links go to the books on amazon in case you wanted to treat yourself. All well worth a read. If you're gonna read Pigeon Wings you should probs read Clovenhoof first as the former is the sequel to the latter. I'm also the proud owner of a Guy Fawkes mask! Came with my copy of V for Vendetta, I can now run around London blaring out the 1812 overture and no one will bat an eyelid.


Murmuration from Islands & Rivers on Vimeo.

Where I first saw this vid.

No comments:

Post a Comment