Thursday 3 August 2017

Six Days, Five Nights, and a Frivolous Amount of Walking - Day 6

Day 6 - April 24

A few hours later Issi’s alarm awakens us. We get up, I think we both more or less wake up as we are. Does that make sense? You know how some folks wake up sort of groggy/grumpy, we don’t. She asks if I was relying on her alarm to awaken us, I confirm I wholeheartedly was. She tells me it was a risky move, I’m unsure why though. She’s a light sleeper, perhaps a commentary on the unreliability of iphones. Again I apologise as my memory is fading.

We gather everything, one last tidy. I take a pic that gets me totes emot, post it to facebook. It’s time to go, we follow the key handover procedure and wave goodbye to our home for the past six days and five nights. Oh at some point I explained that home was number 42, and 42 is the answer to life the universe and everything. I’d even brought along a tshirt to that effect, I was wearing it as we left, along with three coats.

We walk to the bus stop, Issi has taken charge of navigating to the airport. We wait outside the metro station we arrived at when we first got here. I think I reminisce about missing out on a sausage bouquet, soup in bread, and a dobos torte. More people arrive, we feel vindicated that this is right side of the road to be on for a bus that heads in the direction of the airport. Folks have bags.

The wrong bus, then the right bus arrives. We get on and go to pay, the driver waves us past. Result, free bus ride! We take our seats, again the conversation escapes me. We get off at the right stop though, we know because the other folks with bags have done the same. The second bus arrives, this time we have to pay, I think we were last on, Issi was last on. I remember because the other passengers were already seated. To avoid their knees I hoisted my bag up. The bus starts, I lose my balance, the bag flails towards the other already seated passengers. I apply a course correction, thus preventing the bag from colliding with another human being. In doing so I lose my balance more, somehow I don’t fall. Glancing back Issi is in veritable hysterics, she apolgises for laughing, my bus bumbling was just too funny. Despite my obviously embarrassing loss of balance her laughter made it worthwhile.


We find some unoccupied seats and the bus makes it’s way to the airport. Upon arrival there’s a little confusion about which way to go but we’re shortly in the terminal. The order of events confuses me a little here. I think we went to duty free to so one of us could swiftly, coat ourselves in some nondescript scent. Onwards to breakfast.

Wandering around we settle on a place selling pizza, I spy spanish omelettes and we opt for for both. Issi nabs the last slice of breakfast pizza, I think I went for pepperoni. I also buy an overpriced bottle of water. See image below, it’s got it’s mineral content broken down!!!


Minerals, have you got them?
We nab a table, I think we may’ve secured it using some or all of my three coats. The foods good, plus vfm. Issi offers me the rest of her pizza, I’m quite sure I ate it. I spy movement… something darts into a shrub that’s situated quite close to us. I’m unsure if I actually saw movement or if I just imagined it, I’ve had maybe 4 hours sleep. There’s a bird in the shrub! I try to take a photo, it flies away before I can. Issi teases me for my frequent outbursts of disproportionate joy, at the mere sight of any animal.

We get ready to queue, and go join the rest of the folks waiting to board the plane. This time we’re on the same shuttle bus, packed in like sardines. Luckily I’m within reaching distance of an overhead handrail, you know so you don’t fall over when the bus twists and turns. Issi is not, I ask if she wants to switch places, she declines. Once the bus starts moving she almost loses her footing, I say “feel free to bounce off me”, I realise what I’ve said as soon as I’ve said it. I offer her my arm, she takes it. We stand steady awkwardly arm in arm. Before long we’re at the plane.

Seated separately, I’m at the front, she’s at the back. I send her a message echoing the sentiments of my message when we first got to Budapest, stating I’m on the plane towards the front. The plane appears to taxi for ages, I drift off before, during, and after take off. The flight passes in a flash, and we’re at EMA before I know it.

Disembarking we’re reunited just in time for another queue. Issi confesses she paid for water during the flight, I’m bereft as I still have my overpriced bottle of water and I don’t feel thirst like most folks. I usually drink a lot of water in one go, then forget till I get a headache. She also tells me of two inappropriately flirty, loud women. This may've happened on our flight to Budapest, my memory is getting quite muddled. At the front of the queue Issi is called up first, a security lady asks if we’re travelling together. I run through all the possible meanings of the word “together”. We were on a holiday together, but we booked separately, sat separately, etc. So I say no. Issi would later tell me that I could’ve probs said yes.

Walking back through the airport, I think Issi texts her folks. Someone was wound up a mate wasn’t there in time to pick them up. I think. Again my memory is fading. I spot a wagtail and point it out, she teases me again about my disproportionate joy. Once seated on the shuttle bus we spot an old asian man who is wearing, what we conclude to be, whatever he wants. Jet 2 car park is ages away, we remember the landmark so we don’t have to haphazardly search for the car. Load up, car starts, phew.

ANPR doesn’t let me out, curses. I press a button on the terminal and dude asks for my name, reg etc. The barrier lifts, I thank the disembodied voice, and roll out. SatNav tells me where to go, I dutifully follow. Issi and talk about this and that. She tells me she thinks I’ve shifted back to my analytical voice, the one I use when I don’t know something and use reason/logic to deduce it. I reckon it was probably because I hate to say goodbye. I briefly get lost, but we’re soon outside Issi’s place in Notts.

I request to use her bathroom, apologising as I’m sure she’s had quite enough of me for at least six months. She elegantly acquiesces to my request, deftly dismissing my insecure apology. Upon entering her flat she declares she’s disappointed at the lack of post. I use the facilities, and boldly stride into the living kitchen diner. I realise my fly was undone, I turn and zip myself up. She laughs and says I look like, if I could blush I would be. I hand her a small leather pouch, and tell her to open it once I’m gone. It contains a gift and a note, I wrote said note before we left. We hug, and thank each other for a great holiday. In that moment it felt as though I’d been back in England for such a long time. Issi hands me S’more pop tarts, I love pop tarts.

We say our goodbyes and I drive to my folks place, about an hour away. I’m back there now as I write this. I meet my tiny mother, she’s been by herself for a week or two. My dad’s overseas doing his thing, saving the world one person at a time.

And that ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, is the tale of how I went on holiday with a girl I’d never met. But I’m not finished, oh no.

Anyone ever seen the film “Yes Man”? Jim Carey’s character says yes to everything for a year after asking a motivational speaker, played by Terence Stamp, what he should do. I would have anticipated that the holiday would be fun, but I had an absolute blast. I learnt a lot, and I now want to see everything. I met and got to know someone of amazing depth, conviction, openness, unfathomable kindness, and a tolerance for foot pain that may never be surpassed.

Question is, are you picking up what I’m putting down?
Time to say goodbye to our home for the last six days and five nights. 
If you're ever in Budapest, Zichy Jeno Utca, No. 42, you've been outstanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment