Sunday 9 November 2014

MCU and Doctor Who...



Somewhat straying from my regular pattern but not to worry there's an epic tune at the end. I just love this dude, Mr Sunday Movies. He does film reviews and talks about comics. And Marvel did an enormous unload this week! Seemed a little knee jerky in response to DC's unleashing their line up up until 2020. Another fantastic fellow, JeremyJahns, has made a vid all about it. Being a little lazy by not explaining but these dudes do a much better job and they've got visuals! I mean I have visuals too but you the old chestnut about pictures and 1000 words. A video is at least 20 fps so per second that's like 20,000 words...which is ridiculous. These videos may have minor and or major spoilers in for the upcoming films as they are likely to be based on comics.



So it is most definitely a good time to be me or anyone else who like movies based on comic books. Man I can not wait for Darkseid, Apocalypse and Thanos. I'll be honest I am only familiar with Darkseid and Apocalypse. Thanos I have no  clue about but he was inspired by Darkseid and he's a badass so can't be bad. I've also had quite the education in all things cosmic in the Marvel cinematic universe from a vid by an insanely knowledgable young man who goes by the youtube handle of Mitchell Letcher. He speaks mad fast so be sure to pay attention.



 For those who don't want to learn all about ratios scroll down until you see the big pink yolo.

In an attempt to actually learn something today, I'm preparing for an exam, I shall be weaving all of the applicable ratios into this post.  Ratio analysis is something that I was introduce to in 2007, yep it's been 7 years and I'm still being tested on it. It was an off shoot of financial accounting that was being examined and ration analysis was in one of the questions. Now I'm sat furiously beavering away and the fire alarm sounds.

There are four categories of ratio that can be tested in this exam. They are profitability, liquidity, gearing and investor.

Off the top of my head I can remember:

  1. Gross profit
  2. Net profit
  3. Return on Capital employed
  4. Receivable days
  5. Payable days
  6. Inventory days
  7. Acid test
  8. Quick
  9. Gearing
  10. Earnings per share
  11. Price earnings or P/E
  12. Dividend cover
  13. Dividend yield
  14. Interest cover
And I'm out of ideas! There is going to be a big, juicy 25 mark question involving ratios, at least 8 out of those five marks are given for correctly calculating some ratios. So worth learning.

Here's an exhaustive list broken down by category:
  1. Profitability - Gross Profit, Operating profit, Asset turnover, Return on capital employed - 4
  2. Liquidity - Current, Quick, Inventory days, Receivable days, Payable days - 5
  3. Gearing - Gearing, Interest cover - 2
  4. Investor - Earnings per share, P/E, Dividend cover, Dividend yield - 4
Now for me remembering the categories and the number of ratios in each category helps to memorise the lot. Alternatively I would write these down over and over again until it became ingrained. If you add up the numbers in red you get...15! I was missing - Asset turnover and Current. Also I'm pretty sure that acid and quick are the same ratio but with different names. So now I've got the categories and numbers down the names should be straight forward.

You should be able to pick up quite a few marks without the ratios by just rifling through the financial statements of whichever entity you are supposed to be analysing.

And the end of the fire alarm story is that we ended up congregating in the car park outside the exam/sports hall. Instructed to remain in total silence, an instruction that was promptly ignored by everyone. Amongst the obvious exam chatter there were numerous rumour circulating about what the outcome would be. Everyone passes was one, everyone fails was another and lastly there was the we may have to resit the exam! I don't know about everyone but I passed, so it would appear my knowledge/understanding of ratios is certainly adequate.

Your loss if you understand the ratios you may be better placed to make savvy business/investment decisions :-P

I saw this stunning image appear as a cover photo for a girl who was in the year below me at my first secondary school. I also met her and a fellow named Liam in a club in Nottingham! I had never spoken to either of them but they recognised me and I them. And that's the unsatisfying end of that anecdote.

Ooh back to the image I did a reverse image search! Now I'd heard of these when people debunk folks who use photos of models for their profiles to rip people off etc. But I had no idea what one entailed. Google has this function if you go to: https://images.google.com/imghp, then you drag and drop the image you want to look up. That led me to this blog: http://tamta-rot.livejournal.com. And from there I managed to find the name of the photographer, Shelby Robinson. Third one across, redhead with autumn in her hair!

Avid readers will know about my fondness for those of the auburn persuasion and strangely I do count myself amongst their numbers. You can read all about it here, there's an image explaining why I claim to be a redhead.


Oh my god has everyone seen the last instalment of Doctor Who? At the time of writing this it was the last instalment but now it's the second to last, Dark Water. Spoilers to follow so sod off and watch it on Iplayer if you don't want it to be spoilt! Now I did have it spoilt because I was on facebook the morning after and saw two posts indicating the fate of Danny Pink. But I got over it because I don't really like Danny he's ok but he I don't care about the character. Then it was spoilt all over again by the thumbnail that the BBC had chosen to display above the link to the episode. A legion of cybermen! Damn it BBC Why would you do that to me?!?

Any hoo getting past the rage I was feeling I quite enjoyed the episode. There was Clara being against the natural order of things. The Doctor being ever so loyal despite her betrayal and the dead. Now here's something I did not think was true about cybermen, they are a result of banging armour on the human body. I thought they were brains taken from the a human and bunged into a robotic body. The hidden in plain site bit was cool, dark water = DW = Doctor Who?

So I thought Missy was the master the first time we all saw her way back when! I think I wrote about it here. There is a subtle drumming that is the new masters trademark. I've just rewatched it and the drumming is not so conclusive. Anyone seen Green Wing? Michelle Gomez, Missy, plays a real ballbuster. Pretty much the female Malcolm Tucker, probably been pointed out already. I hope they get into a shouting match. The double door cyberman eye reveal was a nice touch too! I did not see it coming at all.

#selfie
 I have some problems with this episode. Mainly centring around the end. I liked that there wasn't too much detail about the cyberfying process, wholly unnecessary. There was Missy's super speed, you know the bit when she was cuffed to that thing like Hannibal Lecter and Osgood is beckoned closer? Yeah that bit. She was across the room before the guards had a chance to react! She can teleport but this looked to me like good old fashioned super speed.

Pretty much my reaction when Missy zapped Osgood. There was a foreshadowing whisper that she was to accompany the Doctor! That would have been my reaction but owing to certain physical mishaps I glared silently whilst eating peanut butter on toast.

Danny Pink, comes good. The sentiment is laudable, especially given the time of year. The sacrifice that soldiers make is often undervalued or completely forgotten. I spent the first few years of my life in a war zone, don't really remember any of it. But by all accounts I've heard, it's a pretty grizzly place to be.

Where does this leave Danny's Grandson? They didn't explain why Danny was immune to Missy's mind control. Clara had just shut off his emotions so? The Brigadier's shooting Missy was rather confusing. So are there lot's of cybermen who weren't under her control? Or is it just soldiers? If so there are lots of soldiers who have passed away and would have been uncontrollable! So now Earth has a guardian cyberman.

The heaven portal was a bit confusing and wholly unnecessary, Danny died a hero. I suppose it shows that he is willing to sacrifice everything to right his wrongs. And the subsequent lying from the Doctor and Clara! The Doctor's lie, fair enough but Clara's? And I was expecting a baby bump when she got up at the end. Guessing she's pregnant but not showing just yet.

I hadn't grown to dislike Missy as the Master. There were hints and bits and bobs throughout but the character didn't get enough time on screen for me to grow to totally fear/despise/love them. It all felt a little rushed. The could have cut the whole Robin Hood episode and extended the finale but that's just me, maybe.


No comments:

Post a Comment