Thursday 20 February 2014

Saturation

This is a story all about how my.... is everyone singing the Fresh Prince theme? Preferably out loud so as to inspire all in the vicinity to join in and make the world a better place. Sadly, this has nothing to do with the Prince, Fresh or otherwise, it is a story about a wet kitchen counter. A wet kitchen counter that was being cleaned by a man who I shall refer to as PAW. His initials, so if you are really sleuthy and knowledgeable about my sizeable base of friends, acquaintances and cohorts then you could probs find out who this was. But why do that? Well because it's a teeny, tiny bit embarrassing!

Ok so the story about the wet kitchen counter. PAW has moistened the counter in some way. I forget how but it was either by spillage or deliberately. I have no idea which. He picks up a dish cloth so he can mop up the liquid, not the couth thing to do, leaving liquid lounging around on kitchen counters. I think that reads rather well. Does it?

"Not the couth thing to do, leaving liquid lounging around on kitchen counters"

I do wonder why I can't speak like that. I speak in a pleasant enough manner but I'd never come out with something that sounds as nice as the sentence above. I wonder why. Well I think it's because I speak a damn sight faster than I type. I type 60-80 words per minute, no idea how fast I speak. So in theory if I slow down the pace of my speech I should be able to speak as well I write. That sounds awfully up myself. But it's a theory that I'm willing to try out. Got myself an interview so why not try it out then, when it really matters.

In case anyone is unfamiliar with standard issue dishcloths
So this kitchen counter is wet and PAW has armed himself with a cloth to clean it up. He applies the cloth to the pool. I should point out that myself and my learned colleague Richard are observing this behaviour. We are scientists and observation is kinda what we do. That and mistaking fences for hedges but that's another story for another time. Or if you really want to hear the story drop me a comment and I'll tell you in glorious detail :-D.

As he applies the relatively dry cloth to the pool and the cloth soaks up as much liquid as it can hold. Linking nicely to the title of this little ditty, saturation. It is saturated with liquid and therefore can not absorb any more. But PAW continues swishing the soaked cloth about in the liquid. This isn't drying the counter it's just moving the liquid about. Richard interrupts this exercise in liquid agitation and points out that PAW is not making any progress because of saturation. Ring cloth out over the sink and get back to it.

An anecdote that came forth when I was discussing stratagem for watching vast quantities of footage. Namely season 2 of House of Cards. Not all that vast tbh between 8.67 - 13 hours, not sure if the episodes are 40 minutes of 1 hour long. My brother said he has to intersperse his watching with other things. Quite a productive way of watching such epicness. Do some work, watch some Spacey awesomeness, do some more work, watch even more spacey awesomeness. I don't quite operate that way. I watched the whole thing in three days. I could've done it in 2 but eating, sleeping etc. got in the way. So it would appear I don't get saturated by such things as easily as a higher functioning...not sure how to describe myself and my brother.


So reading! I've got some time to read as I don't have to arise at ridiculous o'clock to commute. But given the current trajectory of things I'll probably be commuting soon enough. I apply for jobs but strangely they are coming looking for me. Not something I'm used to but I could definitely get used to, if you know what I mean. I've been reading something written in 1937 and from it I'm slowly starting to see things differently. From it I was introduced to this awesomeness:

1. Teach me to be obedient to the rules of the game.
2. Teach me to distinguish between sentiment and sentimentality admiring the one and despising the other.
3. Teach me neither to proffer nor receive cheap praise.
4. If I am called upon to suffer, let me be like a well – bred beast that goes away to suffer in silence.
5. Teach me to win, if I may; if I may not win, then above all teach me to be a good loser.
6. Teach me neither to cry for the moon nor over spilt milk.

Those are six maxims that King George V had hanging over his desk. Of those six I immediately understood five, I had to look up the difference between sentiment and sentimentality. The former is feelings of tenderness, nostalgia etc. and the latter is exaggerated self indulgent feelings of things of that nature. A subtle difference but one worth  acknowledging.

I don't really agree with the first maxim as it mentions rules. But I suppose if you are going to play any game then you have to play by the rules otherwise you aren't playing the game. Does that make sense? A game is only a game if it takes place within a certain set of rules. So the parameters are set and by staying within them you ensure everyone involved is playing the same game. All fine and dandy for games :-D

But what for life in general...rules? Nah not a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment