Saturday 28 January 2017

Information from Amazon, as easy as extracting juice from a ginger root

Those of you who have tried to get juice from a ginger root will know what I'm talking about. Not impossible but takes way more effort than it's worth. FYI use a lime squeezer, they work a treat.

Here's the story, cast your minds back to December 2016. I know it's tough as so many things have happened since then. A rich, white dude has become president of the US, Oscar noms, frost, etc. Just before Christmas I am sat at my computer buying something from Amazon. Probably a tub of peanut butter, perhaps a lock picking set, maybe a lamp. I go to pay, and notice a new payment card is set as my default payment option, odd.

I thought perhaps my baby brother, he's 22, was hitching a ride on my Amazon prime account and had added his card. I ask him he says nay, I get suspicious. I check my order history, there's nothing there that I haven't ordered. I check my bank account, all looks as it should i.e cue tumbleweed sfx. I forget about it and head home for Christmas, it's fantastic I eat too much and gain a bunch of weight!

Once back down south I settle in to work. I remember the card on my Amazon account, I buy a book with it to see if it's linked to my current account, it is! My Mum rings me to tell me that my new debit card has arrived, I ask her to relay the info over the phone so I can take it up with my bank. The last four digits are all that's visible on a saved payment option, them match up with this card. The bank tell me the card was in their possession till January, so it could not have been added to my Amazon account. I should take the matter up with Amazon.

I do that, and I'm told that Amazon don't update card information automatically. Perhaps someone in my family added this card. I explain that the card was with the bank until 2017, but appeared on my Amazon account in 2016. They have no idea so pass it on to the investigation team, they say that I will definitely hear something within 24 to 48 hours. The time passes and I hear nothing, so I go back and chat to another representative. I get the same spiel and that I should hear back within 24 to 48 hours, in between I check to make sure that nothing is being ordered from my amazon account and that my bank balance remains as it should, mostly empty with an a crippling capacity for overdraft.

This continues for a few weeks, I contact amazon every few days and receive the same reply. Instead of going through their chat mechanism I send an email, I get the same "we don't auto update new card details, we log them if you enter them. You must have entered these details." four, five, six times I contact Amazon. And I get the same thing we'll get back to you in 24 to 48 hours. I go to the bank and cancel the card, I'm not waiting whilst they twiddle their thumbs not telling me anything

Today four weeks after my initial contact I get an answer, Amazon use Account Updater to update your card details where possible.

Un-ducking-beliveable. The poor girl who was chatting to me tried to apologise and offered me a whole £5 amazon credit to console me. She has escalated it but told me I can not be updated on the progress of the complaint as it is an internal investigation.

This was very a very avoidable waste of time. Had all the other representatives been trained, briefed, tested properly. Or if Amazon had updated their customers about this new thing they are doing. I feel like they introduced this thinking no one would notice. I did and plenty of other's must have as well.

Will I end up shopping at Amazon again, probably. I paid my annual subscription for my prime membership already, I lost my temper. A waste of energy, how very human of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment