Tuesday 15 October 2013

Held back, coconuts, rummaging = nostalgia

You ever felt a little tied down? Not in the BDSM way but kind of restrained by something. Well some of you may know why I feel that way, physically, right now. Kinda out my hands, if only I could accept it,.that'd make things so much easier! I'd just slide through accepting things instead of suffering them. But there is the tricky business of knowing when something can be changed. Accepting the current thing in whatever form it's in would let you not react to it, whatever it is. Ah abstract reasoning it's full of this non specific talk that is tough to relate to. Very interesting, conceptually, but by golly is it dry. Like a cream cracker...

So I have a lot of time on my hands, some of which is taken up by my one of my favourite past times, training. But seeing as I'm not the biggest sleeper a couple of hours doesn't really make much of a dent in my day. So What to do...well I've watched a lot of stuff
  • The Expendables
  • The Almighty Johnsons - S1
  • Breaking Bad - S1E6
  • Lie to Me - Rewatching season 2, I forgot a lot of it :S
  • Samurai Champloo mostly because @shortbistro won't stop going on about it!
  • Superbad - Like Pulp Fiction I'd never watched this all the way through just bits n pieces
  • Transformers 3
  • Aziz Ansari - Dangerously Delicious
  • The Hobbit
  • Aziz Ansari - Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening
  • Dave Gorman Stand Up Live
  • Hajime No Ippo: Rising
So from that lot I'd say what I'm most excited about is The Almighty Johnsons, comedy always wins me over. That said Breaking Bad is awesome too and I am growing attached to Samurai Champloo, only 26 episodes! Oh and lets not forget how likeable Shia Labeouf is in Transformers :-D Little bored by the story but it kept me entertained whist I was living in Lincoln.

Oh and owing to certain circumstances I was "living" in Lincoln for, almost, the past five weeks. It was nice even if I found myself in bed by 19:00 on most nights. As Slurms Mckenzie would say PARTY ON!


Yep that should be a gif but I am unsure if they work...someone tell me, please :-D.  My mind grapes are drying up, another reference that if understood will result in nuptials. That is to say can you tell me who's catch phrase that is, not his/her only catchphrase as they are a veritable goldmine of quotable material!

So I have lots of time on my hands as you've gathered. What can I do with said time, well I could learn a lot of really useful new skills e.g. memory palace, cold reading, radio voice training, develop a grip that can crush coconuts. But I've been watching TV and rummaging through my hoard of stuff that's laying about my room.

Coconut story - Anyone ever tried to access the innards of a peeled coconut?

How they look on a tree, believe it or nay.
So they are covered in a fibrous husk that has to be removed before accessing the nut! But that's not the end of the journey, you can make thread, rope, sacks etc. out of the fibres of the husk. Fantastically coarse, scratch stuff :-D So onwards to my coconut story! Anyone familiar with the hindu tradition of breaking coconuts upon arrival at a temple? Well that's what we do when we get to a temple you smash a coconut on a step, rock, whatever it is that is in the designated coconut smashing area. Something to do with the purity of the liquid inside, it's sterile and can be used as IV stuff!

Anyway I'm in Sri Lanka, where I was born btw, and as is the way we are visiting as many temples as we can. I am by no means a believer, I'm firmly in the I haven't the foggiest camp. If you know fantastic! But I really don't know so...I have no where to go with that statement. So my mum, dad, bro and cousin are in attendance and  I am handed the coconut. They used to let little bro d all the coconut smashing but he's too "cool" to care about that kinda stuff any more. I on the other hand still love throwing things: rocks, balls, sticks, remote controls, crutches, cameras, phones, brushes, bottles! At this particular temple there is a rocky bit of ground near the entrance where you smash you coconut before going in, or after I don't know the correct etiquette in situations such as this. This rocky bit is surrounded by wet sand. Wet from all the coconuts that have broken and spilt their juicy awesomeness onto is. I hurl the coconut and miss the rock. Embarrassing right? Nope the coconut still broke despite hitting wet sand. So that's one of my coconut stories!


So rummaging produces many interesting things here are a few so you can get a little flavour of what I have laying around my cavernous room: oyster card, penknife, origami xwing x 2, strange whistle, old pencil, receipts and raffle tickets. The receipt and raffle tickets are what interest me the most! They weren't purchased on the same day but they are linked. Sleuth away dear readers! But even the sleuthiest amongst you will likely be unable to deduce the connection without the two items to begin with. Well it's 21 items technically. A receipt from ASDA and 20 raffle tickets. They're blue, numbered 396 - 415 and in strips of five! :D Why am I describing them when I have this handy picture, so you don't have to use your awesome imaginations. Look anything like the pic below the pic below? I put it there so you'd hopefully picture the tickets before seeing them :-D

My parents went out I had to do my sisters hair before bed. Bi-racial adoption has its struggles!
Purchased on the 6th of July
Thought I'd throw in an extra clue, if you can deduce where I purchased these, mucho kudos to you sir/madam. I am impressed by you knowledge of my activities on the 6th of July! So the second item is a receipt, not from on the same day or even in the same place.

As you can see I purchased 4 items. 2 of these were sausages! Mr Pork was a six pack of scratchings that I got. And the "soft drink" was a 2 litre bottle of water. You can agree that £0.45 is rather good value for money :-D. But then again I could've filled up a 2L bottle at the leisure...no more clues. I was on my no carb kick at the time hence the fatty, proteinous purchases. So have you deduced when this purchase was made? If not then I'm very disappointed in you. You've let me down, you've let your mum down and most importantly you've let yourself down. :-P I never got that speech growing up mostly because I was ever so well behaved and partly because I was ever so crafty the folks never really knew what mischief I'd been up to. 
21st of April 2013 at 12:47, it was a Sunday. Any clearer? Well what happened was I tried to organise a work outing to support our esteemed colleuge, SDRG, in a double header. Details here if anyone wants to see why I'm so enamoured with a sport I've only ever seen twice! Oh and the raffle tickets were from our second outing to, I know this as I always buy 5 strips of tickets. As they are always sequential and I won one prize, a lovely red bag, they were from July the sixth. I know this because I have a ridiculous memory that can draw up minuscule details about day to day life. It was a Saturday btw, had to look that up ;-)

So that brings me neatly to my current predicament, LBRG's next home bout. It'll be on the 20th and is yet another double header. But this time Lincolnshire Rolling Thunder will be will be up along with the Bombshell Bruisers. I've never seen a men's bout so was I'm stupendously guttered I won't be able to make it! CURSE YOU SLOW HEALING NERVOUS SYSTEM! On a side note upon hearing W2K I was so inspired to dance I shuffled around my living room unassisted!

In case you wanted to go you can get details and shtuff here: https://www.facebook.com/events/206426546199755/

Yep life is shorter so get down to Grantham this Sunday and observe as opposing teams skate past at truly gasp inspiring speed. If you go and don't have a blast let me know and I'll buy you a cookie. It's a genuine offer folks, one that I will not be repeating ever again!*By ever I mean this week :-P

n.b. I knicked the poster, I believe it was carefully constructed by Melfunction who has a page here



Yep Will 2K give it a watch and I guarantee you Will want to get up and dance ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment