Tuesday 29 November 2022

I would drive 500 miles - Day 2

 We woke up in Rickerby Grange, after a night of politely trying not to steal too much of the duvet. But that's another story. Up and at them, we'd booked in for breakfast at some time... I forget when but I suspect we went for 08:30, as that's when I would opt for now, and I am nothing if not predictable.

Brush, shower, lotion, meditate, and out the door. That's my routine at least. Oh clothes, I put on some clothes, I think I was dressed head to toe in active wear, mmm I'm such a yummy mummy.

160 miles, doesn't look that far does it?

We venture downstairs, I'd opted for the salmon, Sofia for the full English. We're greeted by a member of staff who reminds me of a girl I work with, Gina. Except this person has red hair. They confirm our orders, and grab us two coffees. An Asian member of staff serves us our drinks. I was expecting a British accent, but was met with a welcome Southern American, not South America, but Southern North America. Clear as mud. Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, The Carolinas etc. Hope you have an idea of this ladies accent, it's not at all vital to your understanding of the story...

Our food arrives and I remember a switcheroo, they assumed I'd want the fry up and Sofia the smoked fish, you know because of the patriarchy. But it's happened to us before, I can't drink beer because of the gout, so when we're out and I order a gin or spirit and Sofia orders a beer, we're met with the mix up all too often. Back to breakfast. I'm given at least a whole fishes worth of salmon, it's very good. I'd tactically ordered small, because of all the incoming calories...

As I'd driven the day before, 180 miles, but who's counting, Sofia is driving today. Fun fact when my dad added her to his insurance how much do you think the premium increased by? Go on think of a number, maybe even write it down, I'll wait. If you thought of anything greater than zero then you were wrong! The cost actually went down, there you go folks insure your kids significant others on your car insurance, that's the moral of the story.

We hit the road and head straight for the Derwent Pencil Museum, it had been recommended by Bob Mortimer on the Richard Herring Leicester Square Theatre Podcast, or RHLSTP, RHLSTP, at least that's what the cool kids are calling it. We park up, pay to park, nip to the toilets and head in. The lady behind the counter sells us our tickets, we get a free pencil with the purchase, plus there's a quiz to complete. Of course we are doing this quiz!



We go through a tunnel that depicts a  graphite mine. We have to duck, the quiz is not easy. It starts easy, but that's to lull you into a false sense of  "Oh she said this was for kids." You know like those quizzes you had on school trips to keep you engaged with where you were. And not just wandering about running your mouth, and eating crisps. I once ate an entire multipack of Wotsits on a school trip, that's possibly why I avoid crisps now, in case I break the seal...

We learnt about pencils in WW2, saw the worlds largest pencil, lots of celebration pencils. We completed the quiz! And the prize was a small bunch of pencils each, well worth it. The museum is a must see, of you're remotely in the are, it's such a little gem. Sofia went to find Witty a gift, settling on pencils. 

Once we were done we headed in Keswick town. To find a Boots, maybe some more food. As we walk around we spot lots of dogs, and middle aged folks. Wandering down an alley we meet a homeless lady, Sofia asks her what she'd like from Greggs. We pop in grab a sandwich and coffee and give them to her. We head back to Boots, and I find a comb. I'd forgotten to pack my brush, disaster I know. I ask about the other mining museums but we opt to hit the road, as there's quite a ways to go and it's past midday.

Very lovely countryside, see video below. We're heading for Portpatrick, if the map hadn't already given it away. We decided to not go straight to Carlisle, because we didn't appreciate how long a drive it would be, ah naivety, you mother of adventure you. We head for Bowness-on-Solway, where we'll get lunch at The Kings Arms Inn, we park up and alas it's shut, around the corner, so is the next pub. We walk on and find the Solway Lounge & Garrison Bistro, brilliant bistro. The lady who took our order was so lovely, and knew everything about the menu. We overheard her explaining they'd opened just before or during Covid. So this was their first proper year. We got soup, and I got the hunter's chicken, Sofia went for a toastie. The soup was great, so fresh and full of flavour. I want to say carrot, ginger, and coriander? It was orange, that I remember. Great portions, good food, nice place. The garrison bears the name of Sofia's niece Maia!


We settle up and get back on the road. Not before snapping a few pics of the coast. I think Sofia was trying to get photos of Chapelcross power station for her food spouse Witty, who looks after it, their Environmental consultants, amongst a plethora of other things, they both wear many hats. The drive stretches on. We stop... somewhere, I wanted to say Newton Stewart, but I can't find the bridge we saw on the map. So perhaps we went to a mythical place that only exists when you really need to pee? Anyhow we wander about, find a public convenience, then see our first castle! Oh I think we crossed into Scotland, we saw a few "Welcome to Scotland" signs, but it was raining so the photos were not great. We did pop into a shop to grab some fruits. We got 15 apples, which Sofia was not really that keen on. But I knew I could eat all 15 then and there so we'd get through them no problem on our trip. Pink Ladies, gala, and braeburn. I think although it may've been just the ten...

It's around now that we get a little antsy about the journey ahead. Sofia had wanted to catch the sun set off the coast of Portpatrick. So we're racing the sunset! We didn't make it. By the time we'd pulled up and checked in, the sun had set. The hotel is old, on a cliff, and we have an enormous room. With a butterfly trapped inside!




We head out and snap a few orangey, pinky sky photos. Not the sunset we wanted but it's nice.

We sit down and google a little. Looks like we can walk down to where all the restaurants are. Once we're at the car it's a little frantic, and I drive down to the front. Parking up it's dark, we can park for as long as we like, but it does say no over night parking. I suspect there are lots of campervans etc. We're heading for The Crown Hotel, without a reservation. It's a Tuesday how busy can it be? Busy but not too busy to find us a table. We're in the corner. I go for a lamb shank, and Sofia goes for a fish pancake?

What do you think it looked like?

I go to order, and grab a shandy for Sofia. A big family rock up and are seated in front of us. The matriarch is American? Possibly Canadian, I can't tell the accents apart. Except for the "aboot" situation. Which I don't remember so I'm going with American. But it's still not that clear because Canada is on the American continent? Anyway they are boisterous and know one of the staff. There's a bit of the bar that's just for empties, not for orders or for waiting about. It says keep clear. A few local old boys rock up, and set up shop there.

Our food arrives, Sofia is blown away by the pancake. It's like a fish pie but under a pancake?! My lamb was flavourful but tough, note to self if you go to somewhere by the sea, get some food related to the sea!




We drive back and hit the sack. We agree to get up early and head out to take photos and see if we can walk down to the village/town from the hotel via the cliff.


No comments:

Post a Comment